The technological marvel of the recent past, Compact Disc (CD) turns 25 tomorrow. Exactly 25 years ago tomorrow, on August 17, 1982, Royal Philips Electronics manufactured the worldâ€™s first compact disc at a Philips factory in Langenhagen, just outside of Hanover, Germany.
The invention of the CD ushered in a technological revolution in the music industry as CDs – with their superior sound quality and scratch free durability – marked the beginning of the shift from analogue to digital music technology. The CD became a catalyst for further innovation in digital entertainment, helping pave the way for the launch of DVD and the current introduction of Blu-ray optical media. Having played a key role in the innovation of digital music, at home and on the move, consumers continue to witness huge advances in entertainment and lifestyle technologies.
Though the CD is well past its prime, the form factor and basic technology saw renewal in the DVD and, later, next-gen formats such as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Disc, and CD’s future is increasingly in doubt in an age of iPods and digital downloads.The CD still accounts for the majority of the music industry’s recording revenue, but its sales have been in a free-fall since peaking early this decade, in part due to the rise of on-line file-sharing, but also as consumers spend more of their leisure dollars on other entertainment purchases, such as DVDs and video games.
Related story: on Yahoo News
- What Happens in an Internet Minute?
- Microsoft Acquires Nokia’s Devices & Services Business
- Facebook launches Internet.org Initiative To Connect The Unconnected World
- Google Glasses: Specs And Other Details
- What Will The World Look Like When We Connect The Unconnected, Internet Of Everything Info-graphic By Cisco
- churchil on Facebook launches Internet.org Initiative To Connect The Unconnected World
- Priya patil on What Happens in an Internet Minute?
- Facebook launches Internet.org Initiative To Connect The Unconnected World | truedare.com on What Will The World Look Like When We Connect The Unconnected, Internet Of Everything Info-graphic By Cisco
- text messaging alerts on The Text Message/SMS Turns 19 Years Old
- Mian Hamza on Facebook launches Internet.org Initiative To Connect The Unconnected World
CategoriesApple Astronomy Biology Blackberry Cloud Computers Digital Camera Embedded Energy Fiction First Future Gadgets Google GPhone Ideas Innovative Internet iPhone Laptop Life Linux Microsoft Mobile Linux Mobiles Networking Nokia Open Source OS Research Science Science Fiction Services Sky Smart Phone Software Space Storage Super Computing Technology Telecoms Tips & Tricks Trends Video Windows