Software Freedom Day (SFD) is an annual worldwide celebration of the free/open-source software with hundreds of teams from all around the world running local events to help their communities understand Software Freedom.
SFD is a public education effort, not only to celebrate the virtues of free and open source software, but also to encourage its use, to the benefit of the public. Local teams from all over the world organise events on this day. The most recent event involved over 200 teams from all over the world. For SFD 2007, more than 290 teams registered already.
SFD was established in 2004 and was first observed on August 28, 2004 when over 70 teams participated. Since that time it has grown in popularity as more than 300 teams from over 60 countries celebrated on the second SFD, held on September 10, 2005. The primary sponsor for 2005-2006 is Canonical Ltd, the company behind Ubuntu, a Linux distribution.
From 2006 onwards, it has been decided that Software Freedom Day will be held on the third Saturday of each September.
Check to see if there is already a team registered in your area or check this world map of registered teams. Perhaps there was an event in your area in previous years. If you want to form a team and run an event, simply check out the StartGuide and start pulling your team together and planning today!
Happy Software Freedom Day for 2007!
- What Happens in an Internet Minute?
- Microsoft Acquires Nokia’s Devices & Services Business
- Facebook launches Internet.org Initiative To Connect The Unconnected World
- Google Glasses: Specs And Other Details
- What Will The World Look Like When We Connect The Unconnected, Internet Of Everything Info-graphic By Cisco
- churchil on Facebook launches Internet.org Initiative To Connect The Unconnected World
- Priya patil on What Happens in an Internet Minute?
- Facebook launches Internet.org Initiative To Connect The Unconnected World | truedare.com on What Will The World Look Like When We Connect The Unconnected, Internet Of Everything Info-graphic By Cisco
- text messaging alerts on The Text Message/SMS Turns 19 Years Old
- Mian Hamza on Facebook launches Internet.org Initiative To Connect The Unconnected World
CategoriesApple Astronomy Biology Blackberry Cloud Computers Digital Camera Embedded Energy Fiction First Future Gadgets Google GPhone Ideas Innovative Internet iPhone Laptop Life Linux Microsoft Mobile Linux Mobiles Networking Nokia Open Source OS Research Science Science Fiction Services Sky Smart Phone Software Space Storage Super Computing Technology Telecoms Tips & Tricks Trends Video Windows