Six WiMAX firms have teamed together to create the Open Patent Alliance(OPA), to accelerate the widespread adoption and deployment of WiMAX technology and products. The companies involved in the formation of the OPA include Cisco Systems, Intel Corp., Alcatel-Lucent, Clearwire, Sprint and Samsung.
The OPA will advance a competitive and open intellectual property rights model, thus stimulating a larger WiMAX industry that supports innovation through broader choice and lower equipment and service costs for WiMAX technology, devices and applications globally. This group’s goal is to jointly license WiMAX patents so they can keep royalty rates in check and make the technology more affordable.
However, several well-known WiMax providers are not on the list, including Motorola Inc., which is providing equipment for a field test of mobile WiMax services in Chicago as part of the Xohm initiative spearheaded by Sprint. Other companies which are interested in WiMAX, which are not yet a part of this pool are Motorola, Qualcomm and Nokia. Other companies which are not a part of OPA yet, could join anytime later, announced in the press release.
As of now, it looks like a good idea but we will have to wait and see, whether this model really works out well as there are some complications that could arise as the group progresses.
- Google Glasses: Specs And Other Details
- What Will The World Look Like When We Connect The Unconnected, Internet Of Everything Info-graphic By Cisco
- Android Powered $99 Ouya Games Console Shipped To First Supporters
- Biggtest Cyber Attack In History Slows Down The Global Internet
- New Report Shows Linux Adoption Growing To Support Cloud And Mission Critical Workloads
- Google Glasses: Specs And Other Details | Latest Technology Trends on Google Glasses With Virtual And Augmented Reality
- Biggtest Cyber Attack In History Slows Down The Global Internet | Latest Technology Trends on Broadband Internet Speeds 2009-2010: The Top 10 Countries
- Japan: One – Or Many – Steps Ahead | deirdreguthmann on Japan: New Internet By 2020!
- GOD PARTICLE DISCOVERED :THE REAL QUEST BEGINS NOW | MR. Hemant Nigam on Scientists Recreate Big Bang Successfully
- EU Plans For Cars To Call For Help After Crashes | kelosaxinternet on Google Gets Licence For Self-driving Car In US
CategoriesApple Astronomy Biology Blackberry Computers Digital Camera Embedded Energy Fiction First Future Gadgets Google GPhone Ideas Innovative Internet iPhone Laptop Life Linux Microsoft Mobile Linux Mobiles Networking Nokia Open Source OS Photography Research Science Science Fiction Services Sky Smart Phone Software Space Storage Super Computing Technology Telecoms Tips & Tricks Trends Video Windows