You are in a movie theater or noicy restaurent or a bus etc where there is lot of noice around is big issue while talking on a mobile phone. But in the future this problem is eliminated with “silent sounds”, a new technology unveiled at the CeBIT fair on Tuesday that transforms lip movements into a computer-generated voice for the listener at the other end of the phone.

The device, developed by the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), uses electromyography, monitoring tiny muscular movements that occur when we speak and converting them into electrical pulses that can then be turned into speech, without a sound uttered.Crowd Talking On Mobile Phones

‘Silent Sound’ technology aims to notice every movements of the lips and transform them into sounds, which could help people who lose voices to speak, and allow people to make silent calls without bothering others. Rather than making any sounds, your handset would decipher the movements your mouth makes by measuring muscle activity, then convert this into speech that the person on the other end of the call can hear. So, basically, it reads your lips.

“We currently use electrodes which are glued to the skin. In the future, such electrodes might for example by incorporated into cellphones,” said Michael Wand, from the KIT.

The technology opens up a host of applications, from helping people who have lost their voice due to illness or accident to telling a trusted friend your PIN number over the phone without anyone eavesdropping — assuming no lip-readers are around.

The technology can also turn you into an instant polyglot. Because the electrical pulses are universal, they can be immediately transformed into the language of the user’s choice.

“Native speakers can silently utter a sentence in their language, and the receivers hear the translated sentence in their language. It appears as if the native speaker produced speech in a foreign language,” said Wand.

The translation technology works for languages like English, French and Gernan, but for languages like Chinese, where different tones can hold many different meanings, poses a problem, he added.

Noisy people in your office? Not any more. “We are also working on technology to be used in an office environment,” the KIT scientist told AFP.

The engineers have got the device working to 99 percent efficiency, so the mechanical voice at the other end of the phone gets one word in 100 wrong, explained Wand.

“But we’re working to overcome the remaining technical difficulties. In five, maybe ten years, this will be useable, everyday technology,” he said.

201 Responses to Silent Sound Technology: An End To Noisy Communications

1. mounika ch says:

i give seminar on this topic

2. deepa says:

i m gonna give presentation on this topic this llbe the best ever technology that i have came across………………….

3. divya says:

sir,i like this technology very much..i want to take a seminar on this topic..need figures,working of this technology.please mail me since i have seminar on this coming wednesday

4. Geeta says:

This is really amazing technology….!!!
    I have decided this topic i.e “Silent Sound Technology” for seminar as well as for paper presentation.
    But i don’t have detail information about this.
    I really want all details as early as possible.
    Please help me, it’s urgent…!!!
    Reply me on my email
    geet.11nawale@gmail.com

5. BRINDHA .R says:

THIS IS REALLY INTERESTING.I NEED FURTHER DETAILS ON THIS TOPIC.PLZ SEND ME THE DETAILS ALONG WITH WORKING PRINCIPLE,PICTURES ..

6. jaisri says:

hello sir…its is very interesting.. i would like to know more more more more information about this topic sir.. i want to present an ppt for national conference…help me sir…

7. urvashi says:

this technology is really amazing…
    i want further details on this topic because i would like to conduct a seminar with such a gud n differnt technology….plz plz plz
    send me some more information on this topic

8. urvashi says:

sir
    this is a very nice topic.
    i would like to know more about this technolgy so that i can enhance my knowledge regarding latest trends and technologies
    plz plz plz kindly send me more information….

9. PRERNA RAJPUT says:

sir
    I like this technology very much and I have decided to conduct a seminar so plz send me some more details about it along with working principle and pictures. plz sir help me its urgent……
    e-mail – sweet.prerna@yahoo.com

10. akash says:

i m realy shckd 2 knw dis……..
    nd i decd 2 cnduct seminar….i ned detail of dis technology….cn u plzz frwd…..m w8ng 4dis..

11. Rashmi says:

here, how can the speaker know that listener understands which language ?

12. rajesh says:

how will the speaker detect the understandable language of the listener.
    anyway,its really an amazing project,i would like to give my technical seminar on this,so can u please forward me the technical details?

13. Hema says:

Sir,,i’m very much impressed with this silent sound.I really want to know many things about this fantastic technology to update my knowledge…I now want to gather many information…please help me sir.
    eagerly waiting for your earliest reply.

14. manasa says:

15. taruna ahuja says:

It’s a superb technology. Please send its latest information in my ID. Not only thid please send all new technologies items to me. Thank you

16. vidya says:

sir i found this vrey interesting its something new i never heard of before i have choosen this topic for seminar. please help me out. please send me the related info or links as soon as possible.

17. nandini says:

sir its interesting,i am eager to know the full details of it, can u plz send me the working principle and the ppt to the id nandu.ravendran@gmail.com

18. priya says:

thats really creative n intresting as many of them have asked even i want the pdf format of this topic(silent sond technology) and also its working principle in detail.make it as soon as possible bcoz i have to give a seminar in my colg
    thank you!!!!

19. vazy says:

sir,i need report about silent sound technology really it`s very interesting . plz send as soon as possible plz….

20. AA says:

The Technology is good to help maybe the handicapped in the medical field , but there is always a down side , this technology is also already being used to threat’n , and verbally abused people 24/7 , and you will never know them by face.

21. Mahendra says:

Sir, This is a very good technology i wanted to give seminar on this topic can u provide me info reguarding this plz..

22. manish says:

Respected sir,
    i liked the technology alot…….i want to give a presentation on it in my college.
    so i want a full report abt its working,pictures,characteristics, future aspects,development etc….
    please sir it would be kind enough if u mail a project report on silent sound technology, its urgent.
    on my email id

23. saikiran says:

sir will u please send me the report of this project

24. guru says:

sir, its really very interesting how can we get this??????????

25. Chandhini says:

Idea is Amazing….. can u tel me what kind of technique is going to use and how its works?(working Principle). I hope u send me the ans to my mail.

26. srilakshmi says:

hai….this topic is superb. I want to know more about this topic. please send me my mail.

27. abi says:

sir this technology is nice.can you send the working of this tech in cellphones to my ID in ppt form

28. subhan says:

sir its just amazing technology. if possible send me the working principle of this project and ppt to my id

29. Deen Muhammad says:

oh its really amazing,, plz share full detail of this project ,, specially the technologies and specific hardware equipments which are translating the languages ,,,, thx a lot,, all the best

30. shara says:

i want the full document can you please mail me
    as soon as possible

31. shanthi priya says:

sir
    i am interested in this project please send me some more info or ppt on this project
    thanking u

32. karthik says:

sir i like this technology plz send me some more details

33. nandhu says:

it will give us better communication

34. nandhu says:

hello sir:
    i am intersted to do project in this technology.. i need some idea about that related to mobil

35. Karthi says:

I don’t know how the technlology will work

36. kiran says:

It’s very amazing sir… But i have a doubt.It is said that the phone converts inaudible(lip movements without making sound) to audible sounds.Does it takes input as only d lip movements or even audible sounds(like any baby crying or sounds of vehicles moving besides us when we are speaking?..please, explain me sir.

37. kiran says:

Respected sir,
    on my email id

38. kiran says:

sir
    thanking u

39. mounica.g says:

sir.. really great invention. Can I have this topic along with slides in ppt format to my id plz..?

40. swaraj says:

i need seminar report on silent sound technology

41. tintu says:

if u inerested i wil give the details, contat on tintumon1983@gmail.com

42. please send me the report on silent sound technology

43. shruti.k says:

sir its really a amazing technology, i liked it a lot and want to give seminar on this topic in my college so please can u mail a complete report on its working and ppts in slides to my email id by next week thank u and best of luck

44. seetu mishra says:

its really interesting technology…..cn u mail me details on this tech…..

45. seetu mishra says:

its really interesting technology.will you please send me a detailed description of it.

46. johny says:

47. aliya says:

plz ll u mail me the full report of this technology(silent sound) i need it asap..plzzz

48. aliya says:

i need a full report on silent sound technology plzzz mail it to my mail id asap..plzzzzzzz

Share Your Thoughts! Please Leave a Reply

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.